Rings are fueled by ceaseless courage and controlled with willpower. Those with weak wills are unable to work it.
Source Entity: Ion
Location of the Source Conduit: Oa
Lantern Corps has is devoted to keeping order and enacting justice throughout the sectors under Oa's protection.
Waywards are a rare sort of Green Lantern that have decided to go their own path, no longer abiding by the rule of the Guardians of Oa.
Ancient History and Origins Edit
The ancient Maltusians built seven (or nine, if you believe the legends) Power Relays across the galaxy, each channeling a different light from the emotional spectrum and housing a different entity inside. With this power, the Guardians formed different corps of ringbearers who could harness this energy and used them to connect routes between their Relays, shaping out a massive empire that engulfed tens of thousands of star systems.
Over time, however, due to the distance between Relays, the empire became splintered in factions and a war raged on until the Maltusian empire was destroyed by civil war and invaders that acted upon this opportunity.
The only faction not consumed in this war was the Green Lanterns of Oa, who had been the empire's peacekeepers and refused to take sides in the civil wars and instead rallied around the closest systems surrounding Oa to fend off invaders.
As time went on, remnants the old Maltusian empire were taken over by the Cooperative, Apokalypse, the Reach, and others as the Green Lanterns could only hold onto a fraction of their former empire: Approx. 3600 star systems (or Sectors) surrounding Oa (Sector 0 or Sector Prime). For reference, the Sol System (and Earth) is Sector 2814.
The Maltusian Council on Oa allowed refugees from the old empire to take up residency in Sector 666, but their old rivalries carried over and eventually the Green Lantern Corps was sent in to quell the fighting. But that didn't happen.
A crazed team of disgruntled Manhunters who had lost their families from all the civil wars decided that the refugees of the old empire represented a diseased limb of the once great empire and decided to take matters into their own hands, igniting an experimental weapon into the star of Sector 666, causing it to go supernova and destroy all life in the Sector just hours before the Green Lantern battalion had arrived to calm the warring.
Hearing of the Massacre, Apokalyptan invaders advanced upon what was now known as Oan space. But the massacre had united the Corps and the 8000 Green Lanterns took a strand at the border.
Not interested in going to war with the 8000 Green Lanterns loyal to Oa, Apokalypse ceased their invasion. The Collective, Reach, and other would be invaders did likewise whem confronted with a united front.
Peace has been tense as the borders remain under constant guard, maintaining a strict demilitarized zone that taxes the resources of many border civilizations and the Corps alike.
Recently, the Corps has lost nearly 400 members, whose rings corrupted by the power of the fear entity known as Parallax. Many such fallen Lanterns are now loyal to Sinestro. While his own corps of followers work throughout space, Sinestro himself has become obsessed with Earth in Sector 2814, once part of his jurisdiction as a Green Lantern. The exact reasons for Sinestro's interest in Earth are known only to him and his most devout followers.
Due to the growing size and power of their enemies at the borders, the Oans have desired a way to increase the size of their Corps and have begun looking for the lost rings. They have managed to identify users of other rings, such as Atrocitus who seems to have found a small cache of Red Lantern rings and has declared himself the Master of the New Red Lantern Corps but no other users have come forward to swear an Oath to pledge their service to the last remaining Lantern Corps other than Razer, Star Sapphire, and Saint Walker (and his small band of disciples).
Due to the presence of the traitor Sinestro on Earth and the ever growing rise of the Metahuman population and other factors (Darkseid's interest in Earth, the Martian virus, and Earth containing the last remnants of Krypton), Oa has assigned a special Lantern task force to Earth currently comprised of 6 Green Lanterns and the only known Violet Lantern.
Traditionally, the number of Lanterns assigned to a Sector depends on several factors: planetary population, strategic placement, resources, cultural significance, and so forth. While barren Sectors will have a single Lantern, crucial systems have been assigned a dozen Lanterns. Most inhabited Sectors are given two Lanterns.
Lanterns are allowed to leave their Sector to respond to neighboring Sectors' requests for backup or to pursue fugitives, investigate leads, or attend additional training or important meetings on Oa; but it is the expectation that no Sector is to ever be devoid of at least one patrolling Lantern for any significant period of time.
Modern History Edit
The Green Lanterns initially assigned to Sector 2814 at the time of the J.L.A. being founded were Abin Sur and Thaal Sinestro. Things happen and Sinestro goes rogue after having his ring corrupted into a Yellow Lantern ring. Sinestro hides on Earth and while looking for him, Abin Sur recruits John Stewart to help him navigate Earth culture after a GL ring identifies John as the best candidate when Abin begins his search in New York City, intending to address the United Nations so as to gain their support in his search for Sinestro. The two eventually find Sinestro and end up chasing him off-world.
Adventures ensue, and eventually Sinestro returns to Earth intent on doing some really bad stuff and, in the process, Abin Sur is killed and his body is knocked out of the air and into an Air Force jet that's part of the US government's efforts to stop Sinestro. The pilot crash lands his jet and finds the dying Green Lantern. Abin Sur passes his ring on to the pilot before he dies. That pilot, is Hal Jordan.
Sinestro is fought back and after Hal is trained by John and others on Oa, it is decided that the Corps has neglected Earth for too long and John and Hal are tasked with recruiting more humans for the defense of Earth.
Powers of the Green Lanterns by Mastery Levels Edit
The Initiate Edit
- Universal Translator: Anyone putting a Green Lantern on their finger can understand, read, and speak virtually any language known to the Power Ring, facilitating diplomatic encounters rather than violent confrontations. Complications can arise, though, when a frame of reference for translation is not available... and the ring only translates the wearer's words directly, it does not enhanced their charisma or knack for diplomacy.
- Vibrational Interference: Certain vibrational frequencies can cause a Green Lantern Power Ring to malfunction.
- Mental Instability: As a Green Lantern requires the most willpower of any other power ring, things such as drug use, neural interference, vertigo or other forms of mental incapacitation can render the wearer unable to use their ring effectively.
- Rage Influence: Constructs created by a Red Lantern Ring will immediately dispel any hard-light creations formed by a Green Lantern ring if the wearers are of equal mastery. A Green Lantern must be two levels of mastery over a Red Lantern in order to maintain their constructs when opposed by a Red Lantern's own constructs. It is believed that a seventh degree Red Lantern is not affected by this restriction.
- Fear Influence: Fear can be difficult for a Green Lantern. As fear must be overcome to display courage, any Green Lantern who feels a sufficient fear will have difficulty channeling the powers of their ring. Green Lanterns of higher mastery levels usually have greater control over their emotions and are better able to focus their fear to overcome this weakness. Rookie Lanterns will sometimes even be unable to affect anything colored yellow.
- Recharge Protocol: Rings of Oa require a higher charge than most other Power Rings. As a result, most Green Lanterns are issued their own Lantern Battery. Even when not used, a Green Lantern ring will typically require a daily recharge. Fortunately, access to an issued Battery's recharge feature only requires the Lantern to cite the Lantern Oath and place their ring inside the Battery. A recharge from a full depletion requires thirty minutes.
First Degree: The Novice Edit
- Energy Projection: The ring can be used to fire blasts of Oan energy or create weapons such as projectiles of them. The ring can project beams of force powered and shaped by the will of the user. The appearance of these blasts does not indicate the power of the weapon. The weapons power is more an indication of the mastery of the user. Certain users have been powerful enough to stagger or even injure beings such as Kryptonians and Apokalyptans.
- Force Field: The ring can create various forcefields of various sizes and shapes to protect the wearer and others around him. With the cosmic scope of a Green Lantern's duties, it is only natural that the power ring is designed for operation in space. The ring creates a force-field around the wearer, protecting him/her/it from the hazards of the void including filtration of stellar radiation and microscopic particulate matter which would ordinarily be fatal should the space debris strike the ring wielder at high speeds. An atmosphere appropriate to the ring wielder's biology is created inside the force-field, body temperature is maintained and waste products are removed. Gravitational stresses which could cause injury are stabilized for the ring wielder.
- Galactic Encyclopedia: At this level of mastery, a Green Lantern can use their ring to access portions of the Oan Archive from their Battery. Some of this information can be relayed to the ring in the field, but in-depth research must be conducted at the Battery.
Second Degree: The Apprentice Edit
- Energy Constructs: The ring can form constructs of Oan energy. The primary function of the Power Ring is to provide a weapon capable of transforming the wearer's thoughts into physical constructs through the wearer's strength of willpower. A Green Lantern can create any particular items or construct that they can imagine as long as they have the willpower necessary to will it into existence. The constructs are made out of green energy, which is a tangible form of pure willpower, and they exist only as long as a Green Lantern is fueling it with their willpower. Items created by the rings are not indestructible and are only as powerful as the willpower of the Green Lantern creating them. The types of constructs usually reflects the ring wearer's personality. Green Kryptonite has also been constructed using a Ring.
- Flight: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the ring allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In atmosphere, a Green Lantern has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 in atmosphere by creating an aerodynamic envelope around his body. Towing others, usually within a bubble, his speed is limited to the twice the speed of sound or 1440 mph. In space, Green Lantern's speed can be significantly greater and has been known to approach 80% of lightspeed in normal space. Flight is possible at velocities exceeding light speed. In atmospheres, air friction is not a hindrance, since heat is either absorbed or reflected by the ring's field.
- Advanced Communications Suite: A Green Lantern of this mastery can send messages via their ring to other Green Lanterns or even other Power Ring wearers whose rings' code have been synchronized with the ring. If in distress, a Green Lantern can use the power ring as an emergency beacon. The alert can be directed to a Green Lantern's neighboring sector, or it can be a Corps-wide alert. Furthermore, a homing beacon in the power ring can lead one Green Lantern to another. This was one of the recent power ring upgrade features added by the Guardians of the Universe. The power ring can be ordered to disguise itself to elude power ring wielding trackers. Most often ring wielders will allow the beacon to signal their location to others.
Third Degree: The Adept Edit
- Energy Absorption: The ring can absorb and store most other mundane tpypes of energy. Doing so does NOT replenish the normal store of energy the ring has. A ring that needs recharging but contained a store of electricity could only discharge that electricity, for example.
- Electromagnetic Scanning: The ring has a wide range of detection abilities based on the imagination of the user. If one can conceive of it, one can probably detect it. Magical effects like clairvoyance, seem to be beyond the scope of the ring. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, television, infrared, ultraviolet, and high-frequency band communications.
Fourth Degree: The Journeyman Edit
- Environmental Playback: Upon request, the power ring can recreate a holographic environment based on data in its memory banks. The ring wielder can observe events in a ghostlike state, but the ring wielder cannot alter the outcome of the playback. All objects in the playback will appear in the full spectrum of colors, regardless of the wielder's level of expertise creating simulacrums. The power ring will automatically end the playback if outside interference warrants the ring wielder's undivided attention.
- Limited Cellular Regeneration: This ring has a limited ability to heal minor physical injuries in the wearer themselves.
- Search Probes: A user is capable of sending probes through their Power Ring that were tasked with locating specific targets or individuals.
Fifth Degree: The Master Edit
- Wormhole Network: The power ring grants its wearer access to wormholes in space, enabling the ring wielder to rapidly cut time and distance needed for transport. The Guardians established at least one known wormhole to Oa, in every one of their sectors, which required the use of a power ring to enter.
- Pocket Dimension: At this level, a Green Lantern can open a spatial rift to a pocket dimension, usually used to rest and to store uniforms and the Lantern Battery.
Sixth Degree: The Legend Edit
- Light Refraction: A ring wielder can render themselves invisible by willing the ring to bend light waves around their form, as well as that of the power ring. Presumably, a similar action allows an experienced ring wielder to create objects of colors other than green.
Seventh Degree: The Paragon Edit
- Conscious Projection: The power ring allows the wearer to create an "energy twin" of themselves which can travel at far greater speeds than that of the ring wielder's physical form. While the energy twin is active the ring wielder remains motionless, as their consciousness is needed to guide the energy twin. The energy twin cannot alter its surroundings as it has no substance other than light, and may only be perceived by the Guardians or another ring wielder as a green, ghostlike image. The Guardians frequently use conscious projections as a means of contacting a Green Lantern in the field. As a rule, a ring wielder cannot create actual, independent duplicates of themselves, as the power ring cannot create life.
Trivia and Notes Edit
- There are seven degrees of Ring Mastery, in E27:
- First Degree: You've graduated basic training on Oa and have developed your own style.
- Second Degree: You've got what it takes to be a decent solo Lantern, if needs be.
- Third Degree: You've can make a decent field trainer.
- Fourth Degree: You've got what it takes to be a drill instructor or a Senior Lantern.
- Fifth Degree: You're a pretty big deal in the Corps itself. Most Lanterns know who you are. This is about the highest most Lanterns ever get.
- Sixth Degree: You've surpassed the Guardians' expectations and have proven to be among the most elite of the Lanterns ever to wield the ring.
- Seventh Degree: You're a legend in your own right. Darkseid himself would be alarmed if he heard you were venturing close to Apokalypse's borders.